Jan Douglas Atlas is a Partner in the Firm’s Fort Lauderdale office and a member of the Commercial Litigation Department. He is a graduate of Bucknell University with an AB in English and a Juris Doctorate from St. John’s University School of Law. He began his career in New York representing clients in complex litigation matters in both federal and state courts. He has practiced law for more than 45 years, having concentrated primarily in complex commercial securities and class action securities litigation, mass tort litigation from both plaintiffs’ and defendants’ perspective, and represented parties in both medical and drug product litigation. He has served as liaison counsel in the national Chinese Drywall MDL and has participated in seminar panels addressing those practice areas.
He has extensive experience in all aspects of federal and state securities laws, as well as regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc. (“FINRA”) and the various state securities commissions. In that connection, has extensive experience in the following:
- All aspects of Federal and State securities litigation throughout the United States, with emphasis on the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities and Exchange Act 1934, Florida’s Securities and Investor Protection Act and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
- Prosecutions brought under federal and state criminal laws governing business conduct, including foreign corrupt practices, antitrust, RICO violations, insider trading and other securities violations, mail and wire fraud, and other white collar criminal defenses.
- Representation of witnesses in securities related criminal proceedings, and corporations and individuals in arbitrations and proceedings conducted by various securities and commodities exchanges.
- Representing broker-dealers and registered individuals in regulatory matters and securities-related litigation, including representation of issuers, underwriters, accounting firms, and individuals in class action proceedings.
- Complex cases in federal and state courts, before the New York Stock Exchange (“NYSE”), FINRA, American Arbitration Association (AAA), Securities Exchange Commission (SEC), and state administrative proceedings.
- Extensive experience in arbitrations administered by FINRA, AAA and ICDR throughout the country.
- Representation of Broker-Dealers in connection with FINRA/AAA/NYSE arbitrations, enforcement matters, regulatory matters, supervisory issues, compliance issues, disciplinary proceedings, SEC proceedings and State Blue Sky proceedings.
- Representation of clients to insure their compliance with the federal and state securities laws, the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, as well as the rules and regulations of the self-regulatory organizations.